Milagro scarf


In my "Creative process" post below, I mentioned how sometimes I head out to the studio to create a piece of jewelry, and something entirely different will happen . . . this is one of those 'different' moments.

I stopped at my favorite thrift shop in Tucson last week, and among the items I grabbed was an eggshell silk scarf for 50 cents. My friend Debra had given me a little baggie of carved bone milagros, and had mused that she thought they would look wonderful lining a scarf . . . and the idea was born.

I bought a $2.99 box of Rit "rich brown" dye, and set about scrunching and dying the scarf so it would have an old 'worn' appearance. It didn't dye 'rich' but the lovely brown-maroon hue was just right.

So I tied the milagros - a cross, fish, raven, hand, and two other charms - onto the ends of the scarf with brown embroidery floss, then tied a sprinkling of metal and glass beads on as well, with gold and brown floss. Finally, I painted swirls, crosses, stars, and dots onto the silk with gold metallic paint . . . and voila, a quick and easy designer scarf.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin